Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » performance tuning (Oracle rdbms 11gR2 and #statspack)
performance tuning [message #670855] Mon, 30 July 2018 03:53 Go to next message
alanm

discovering the power of oracle statspack.

Available Tags

% of Busy CPU used for Instance:
Block changes:
consistent gets
CPU used by this session
DB time(s):
Physical reads:
Physical writes:
session logical reads

graphical analysis of statspack

[Updated on: Mon, 30 July 2018 03:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: performance tuning [message #670856 is a reply to message #670855] Mon, 30 July 2018 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Is there a question here or are you just making a statement?
Re: performance tuning [message #670857 is a reply to message #670856] Mon, 30 July 2018 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alanm

quick question,
apart from the tags I have shown are there any others that people use when reviewing statspack?

regards

Alan
Re: performance tuning [message #670859 is a reply to message #670857] Mon, 30 July 2018 04:37 Go to previous message
Roachcoach
Quite honestly I never look at them unless

a) There's been a significant deviation from normal behaviour - I know what the estate looks like and what it should look like
b) A user is complaining about something - usually dont need to go as far as DB stats for this.
c) It's a diff/"what has changed since X" exercise for analysis - self explanatory
d) Incident post mortem to find out what happened - a mixed bag, usually the "big ones" stop writing to these views anyway, they're often the first casualty

Almost always start with a diff between good and bad then look at the highlights and drill down from there. The process never changes, but the report areas sometimes do.

Reading them "just because" is the road to madness/compulsive tuning disorder in my opinion.

Edit: I should add that in my old age, a diff tends to be my second port of call because with enough time you'll find that 99/100 times you already know where to look based on what you've seen in real time/been told/top wait events.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 July 2018 04:46]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Sql query to get Max,min and max-1 row from a table
Next Topic: Appropriate join to the desired output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:42:17 CDT 2024